- what do we mean by affix????
Affix is the part of a word that occurs at the beginning of the word , or in the middle or at the end, and changes the meaning of the word.
- Types of affixes :
1-prefixes :is the affix that we add at the beginning of the word, and it changes the meaning of the word.
- dis- (lack of, apart, reversal, or not) Her lack of Spanish put her at disadvantage throughout her travels.
- non- (not) : The noise was nonstop.which means :The noise did not stop.
- mis- (wrong) :her name is misspelled.which means: her name is spelled wrong
- pre- (before) The salary was predetermined, which meansThe salary was determined before.
- un- (not)His effort at work was unsatisfactory. Which means His effort was not satisfactory.
- ex- (former, out of)
He had a coffee meeting with his ex-business partner.
- self- (a person’s essential being that distinguishes them from others)
We should focus on our self development.
2-infixes : the affix that occures in the middle of the word, and it changes the meaning of the word. But notice that we rarely use this type in English language.
- -in-: mother-in-law.
- -bloody – :fanbloodytastic.
3-suffixes : is the affix of a word that we add at the end, and changes the meaning of the it.
- -dom: place or state of being, like kingdom, boredom or freedom.
- -ion: a condition, like union, opinion.
- -Ness : a state of being, like happiness, sadness.
- -Or : the one who does the action, for instance, creator orsailor.
- -less : without like, needless, helpless or feedless.
- -ship: position held. Like partnership, membership or intership.
- -ty: quality state. Like flexibility, reality or safety.
- -ate : to do something like examinate, elaborate or activate.
- -fy: to make something. For example, implify, simplify or exaplify.
- -en: made of something. Like golden or wooden.